Missing some treats from Europe? Here are some that you can find in Vancouver!
At Holt Renfrew:
Charbonnel et Walker
Fortnum & Mason
Fortnum & Mason Gift Set – $90
Fortnum & Mason tea trio (Royal Blend, Earl Grey Classic, Afternoon Blend) – $26
At London Drugs:
Various brands of:
Various brands of Italian and English treats. I was lucky to find Charbonnel et Walker too for about half the price sold at Holt Renfrew. The fine chocolates were $14.99 (compared to $30) and the truffles were $12.99 (compared to $20).
Charbonnel et Walker Fine Chocolates and Dark Marc de Champagne Truffles
At Vancouver Christmas Market:
Mostly German treats. It has more selections of Niederegger Lübeck marzipan chocolates. This year, I spotted Lebkuchenherzen!
If you can’t afford to attend any Oktoberfest events – or have been too busy to keep up with the festivities – you don’t have to miss out on German beer! Here are a few places where you can find some well-known-and-loved beers!
- BC Liquor Store:
- Brewery Creek:
- supposedly it carries Paulaner
- Deutsches Haus (Vancouver Alpen Club):
- possibly Konig Ludwig and others
- Hacker Pschorr
- click for more…
Last month, Bestie officially opened its doors in Chinatown on Pender & Columbia. Ever since I learned that Bestie would be selling my favourite snack, Currywurst, I couldn’t wait for them to be in business. (Please note that it is possible to have Currywurst at the Vancouver Christmas Market.)
I arrived a day after Bestie opened and immediately ordered Currywurst ($8). I was offered water in a Bierkrug (beer mug/jug) and served Currywurst with fries in a porcelain dish shaped like the paper trays usually used for serving these snacks. Even the mini fork was reusable and made of metal!
You can choose the kind of sausage you’d like: Thüringer, Southern BBQ Turkey, Smokey Bison, Veggie Wurst
The menu is quite affordable so if you haven’t had the chance to visit Bestie yet, why not go today on their 1 month anniversary? 😉
Back in May 2013, I had the opportunity to tour the Thomas Haas Patisserie in North Vancouver with the Universität Heidelberg Vancouver alumni branch.
Inside the kitchen, we were offered the popular almond croissants and a complimentary drink of our choice. I went with their Aztec Hot Chocolate which I highly recommend!
Mr Haas then told us how he became a chocolatier and how he ended up in Vancouver from Germany.
Mr Haas shows us a plaque of his family’s long history in chocolaterie.
We were then introduced to the delicious contents on the table.
Cocoa butter, cocoa nibs, sugar
6 different flavoured chocolates
I was already going into sugar coma at this point. However, I couldn’t refuse sampling these pretty and unique chocolates:
Take a look at the layers in this sesame chocolate
As if we hadn’t already been spoiled enough, we even got to take home some chocolates!
Vielen Dank Herr Haas für die köstliche Tour! 🙂
June is Italian Heritage Month and Il Centro has prepared plenty of events all month!
- Sun 16 Jun @ 12-4PM – outdoors: Festa Italiana – children & adult entertainment, Italian food, music, dancing
- Mon 17 Jun @ 7PM – Ballroom: Italian Love Songs for Singing and Dancing – Popular tunes performed by the Italian Choir of BC & dancing. FREE.
- Tue 18 Jun: Lecture by Prof. Stefano Zamagni (University of Bologna) on the impact of the financial crisis and the unique role of cooperative enterprises in building a more resilient economy.
- Wed 19 Jun @ 7PM – Ballroom: Trevigiano-Veneto Choir & Italian Men’s Choir in Concert – These choirs will be joined by the Austrian Melody Choir and will be performing to traditional Italian songs, children songs, solos and more. FREE.
- Thurs 20 Jun @ 7PM – Ballroom: Voice of the Night – Cheer on a group of young performers in this song contest. FREE.
- Tues 25 Jun: A Musical Journey – The Vancouver Italian Folk Chorus will perform Italian folk songs from all regions of Italy, as well as some Canadian songs! FREE.
- Wed 26 Jun @ 7PM – Trattoria: Luigi Pirandello Night – UBC Prof. Mario Inglese will introduce Pirandello’s work, complemented by a special screening (in Italian with English subtitles) of a short episode from the film “Kaos” by Paolo and Vittorio Taviani, which was based on Pirandello’s short story La giara (The Jar). FREE.
- Fri 28 Jun @ 6:30PM: Italian Heritage Month Closing Banquet Festa delle Regioni Buffet – Buffet inspired by traditional Italian food from different regions. Tickets are $40.00 (incl. 3 bottles of wine / table of 12) and must be purchased in advance (call 604-430-3337). A cash bar is available for other drinks. Doors open @ 6:00pm, dinner @ 6:30pm, music for dancing @ 7:00pm.
Date: Sunday, 16 June 2013
Location: Creekside Community Centre
Tickets: $10 adults (15+)* | $2 children (<14)
What to expect:
*Tastygo has 2 offers:
Russian Club Night (adults only)
Location: Joseph Richards
Time: 10:30PM – 2AM
Taste of Tuscany Buffet Dinner
Date: Saturday, 1 June 2013
Time: 6:30PM (doors open at 6PM)
Tickets: $5.00 <6 y.o. | $15.00 6-12 y.o. | $30.00 adults (Advanced tickets required. Please call 604-430-3337 or buy adult tix online.)
A new series of buffet banquets featuring traditional Italian regional and rustic food at affordable prices: the first appointment is with the culinary tradition of Tuscany. Alcoholic beverages are not included in the price, but available for purchase. Music by Patrizia Coletta at 7:00pm. Take a look at the delicious menu HERE.
Check out other events during Italian Heritage Month in June hosted by the Italian Cultural Centre!