- Th 12: World Cup begins
- Sat 21 – Sun 22: Scandinavian Midsummer Festival – Scandinavian Community Centre
- Sun 22: Greek Day – Broadway
- Wed 25: Make Music Vancouver – Water Street
- Th 26: Lecture on Gallipolli Campaign – 18:30 @ Alliance Francaise
- Th 26, F 27, Sa 28: UBC Opera’s The Cunning Little Vixen (Příhody lišky Bystroušky) – 19:30 @ UBC Old Auditorium
- Th 26: Start of Vancouver Greek Summerfest – 4641 Boundary Road
- F 27: Festa delle Regioni Banquet – 18:00 @ Italian Cultural Centre – $45
- Sun 29: UBC Opera’s The Cunning Little Vixen (Příhody lišky Bystroušky) – 14:00 @ UBC Old Auditorium
- Sun 29: Festa Italiana & Friends of Ferrari Race – 12-16:00 @ Italian Cultural Centre
This coming weekend (Saturday, 31 May – Sunday, 1 June) is the 17th annual Eurofest (European Festival) in Vancouver!
Once again, Eurofest will take place at Swangard Stadium (3883 Imperial St. in Burnaby). There will be 30 countries participating with two days of activities and events for people of all ages and backgrounds to enjoy (see festival schedule). This year, Germany (http://www.Facebook.com/FeaturedGermany) and BC Metis (http://bcmetis.com/2014/02/bc-metis-federation-preparing-for-metis-cultural-events-in-2014/) are the two featured nations.
Saturday: 11:00AM – Midnight
This year, local band, Hey Ocean! will be performing on Saturday at 8:30PM.
Sunday: 11:00AM – 6PM
- Day Pass (Sat or Sun before 6PM): $15*
- Saturday Evening Concert Pass (after 6PM): $20*
*Tickets bought online have a $1 surcharge. There is a 15% discount if two or more tickets are purchased online. Children under age 12 can attend for free. Please note that this is a CASH-ONLY event so be sure to visit an ATM or bank before attending!
Please check back for more updates!
- Thursday 6: UBC Opera’s The Florentine Straw Hat (Il Cappello di paglia di Firenze) – 19:30 @ Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
- Friday 7:
- Valentine’s Day Movie (L’Amour Dure 3 Ans) & Dinner – 18:30 @ Alliance Francaise – $20
- UBC Opera’s The Florentine Straw Hat (Il Cappello di paglia di Firenze) – 19:30 @ Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
- Saturday 8: UBC Opera’s The Florentine Straw Hat (Il Cappello di paglia di Firenze) – 19:30 @ Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
- Sunday 9:
- UBC Opera’s The Florentine Straw Hat (Il Cappello di paglia di Firenze) – 14:00 @ Chan Centre for the Performing Arts
- Opera Pro Cantanti: Un Ballo in Maschera – Cambrian Hall
- Thursday 13: VSO’s Tea & Trumpets: The Best of Britain – 14:00 @ Orpheum
- Friday 14:
- Valentine’s Day Dancing Night Fundraiser – 18:30 @ Unitarian Church (Oak & 49th Ave) – $45
- VSO Pops: A Romantic Valentine – 20:00 @ Orpheum
- Sunday 16: Opera Pro Cantanti: Un Ballo in Maschera – Cambrian Hall
Nikaido Gifts on Moncton St. in Steveston carries many delightful products that are rare in Vancouver.
Here are some of the products I saw:
- Kusmi Tea: $28.95 for 125g (L) or $8.95 for 50g (S)
(Other stores that carry Kusmi Tea: Örling & Wu for $30, Vancouver Special for $25.95, French Made Baking for ?)
- Victoria & Albert Museum writing sets: $12.95
- LANOLIN-ÄGG-TVÅL (eggwhite facial soap with rose water & lanolin) from Sweden: $0.99 for 15g and $4.95 for 50g
- Fragonard Muguet (Lily of the Valley) Eau de Toilette: $32.95 (compared to 12,50€)
- Various teapots and teacups from the UK
- Not from Europe but Downton Abbey-tea by Republic of Tea (US): Grantham Breakfast Blend and English Rose Tea:
Missing some treats from Europe? Here are some that you can find in Vancouver!
At Holt Renfrew:
- Mariage Frères (tea)
- Selfridges & Co (biscuits)
At London Drugs:
Various brands of:
- German Christmas treats (Stollen, Lebkuchen, Marzipan, etc.)
- Minced Pies
- Christmas Pudding
- Plum Pudding
- Pandoro and Bon Bon Panettone with Tiramisu
- Christmas Tea
Various brands of Italian and English treats. I was lucky to find Charbonnel et Walker too for about half the price sold at Holt Renfrew. The fine chocolates were $14.99 (compared to $30) and the truffles were $12.99 (compared to $20).
At Vancouver Christmas Market:
Mostly German treats. It has more selections of Niederegger Lübeck marzipan chocolates. This year, I spotted Lebkuchenherzen!
I will be adding more events as they become available. For a full list of upcoming events, please go to: Upcoming Events.
- Marche de Noel – 10:00-16:00 @ Alliance Française Auditorium
- Nollaig (Vancouver Gaelic Choir’s Annual Christmas Concert) – 14:00 @ All Saints Anglican Church (7405 Royal Oak Ave, Burnaby) – $10-15
- Bilingual Christmas Carol Service – 11:00 @ Vancouver Welsh Society
- An Irish Christmas – 19:30-22:00 @ St James Hall (3214 W 10th Ave) – $15
- Christmas Dinner – 19:00 @ The Cambrian Hall
- Vancouver Bach Choir presents Handel’s Messiah – 20:00 @ Orpheum
- Christmas Buffet Dinner – 19:45 @ Italian Cultural Centre – $40
- Last day of Vancouver Christmas Market 2013 – Queen Elizabeth Plaza